NaNoWriMo Nov Day 22: Maz Evans
3 weeks down! And just over a week to go until NaNoWriMo comes to a close. Today we're hearing from the fab Maz Evans – author of the upcoming madcap Olympian adventure Who Let the Gods Out? – on the top tips she'd give aspiring writers. And here's one from us: don't give up – Maz self-published her novel before it caught our eye!
What would be your five top tips to budding writers?
1. What does your character want? Once you've nailed this, the story falls into place far more easily.
2. Story and plot are different things. Story is the events that happen, plot is the order you tell them. Play with that.
3. The crowd isn't that wise: Choose just a few trusted readers for feedback. And listen to them.
4. Be confident, yet humble. Know what's right about your work, but be prepared to change what's wrong.
5. Keep going. No writing is ever wasted. It's all a step on your journey.
For those hoping to take part in NaNoWriMo or enter the Times/Chicken House Children's Fiction Competition, what would be your best tip for writing something every day?
There is no right time. There is no better place. There are no lucky pants. Just do it. Good words can stay. Bad words can change. No words can do nothing. Good luck!
Enter the Times/Chicken House Children's Fiction Competition to be in with a chance of winning a £10k publishing contract!