NaNoWriMo Nov Day 20: Dan Smith
What would be your five top tips to budding writers?
1. Read, read, read. If you’re not a reader, it’s a pretty safe bet that you’ll never be a writer.
2. Write, write, write. It sounds obvious, but you’ll never be a writer if you don’t write anything - and, like many other things, writing takes practice.
3. Write with confidence and assurance and let your imagination run wild. Write the kind of book you would want to read.
4. Don’t wait for inspiration. Just write.
5. Be yourself and don’t spend too much time listening to advice from other writers.
For those hoping to take part in NaNoWriMo or enter the Times/Chicken House Children’s Fiction Competition, what would be your best tip for writing something every day?
Just write. Don’t give up. Writing is hard work and there will be times when you don’t feel like it, but you need to find a time, sit down, and write. The words you put onto the page might be the most awful rubbish you have ever written (or they might be the most excellent) but they will be words on the page and you will be closer to your goal. Words on the page can be reshaped or deleted during the editing process, but no writing is just a blank page. So don’t ever give up.
Growing up, Dan Smith lived three lives: the day-to-day humdrum of boarding school, finding adventure in the padi fields of Asia and the jungles of Brazil, and in a world of his own, making up stories.
Dan's Chicken House novels include My Friend the Enemy, My Brother's Secret and Big Game, the latter of which is now a major movie starring Samuel L. Jackson. His fourth novel for Chicken House, Boy X, published in 2016, and his newest novel Below Zero is publishing January 2018.
Dan lives in Newcastle with his wife and two children.
My Brother's Secret
Germany, 1941. 12-year-old Karl Friedmann is looking forward to joining the Hitler Youth, like all boys his age.
But when his father is killed, his rebellious older brother Stefan shows him things that leave his faith in the Führer shaken.
Who is the real enemy? What is the meaning of the flower sewn inside his brother’s jacket?
Karl soon finds out when he gets involved in a dangerous rebellion ...