NaNoWriMo Nov Day 20: Dan Smith
Today Dan Smith – author of no less than FOUR Chicken House books, including Big Game and his most recent novel, Boy X – has stopped by the blog to share his top tips for aspiring writers.
What would be your five top tips to budding writers?
1. Read, read, read. If you’re not a reader, it’s a pretty safe bet that you’ll never be a writer.
2. Write, write, write. It sounds obvious, but you’ll never be a writer if you don’t write anything - and, like many other things, writing takes practice.
3. Write with confidence and assurance and let your imagination run wild. Write the kind of book you would want to read.
4. Don’t wait for inspiration. Just write.
5. Be yourself and don’t spend too much time listening to advice from other writers.
For those hoping to take part in NaNoWriMo or enter the Times/Chicken House Children’s Fiction Competition, what would be your best tip for writing something every day?
Just write. Don’t give up. Writing is hard work and there will be times when you don’t feel like it, but you need to find a time, sit down, and write. The words you put onto the page might be the most awful rubbish you have ever written (or they might be the most excellent) but they will be words on the page and you will be closer to your goal. Words on the page can be reshaped or deleted during the editing process, but no writing is just a blank page. So don’t ever give up.
Enter the Times/Chicken House Children's Fiction Competition to be in with a chance of winning a £10,000 publishing contract!
No comments yet!
Why not be the first?