NaNoWriMo Nov Day 12: Chris d'Lacey
We're 12 days in to NaNoWriMo now so those novels should be starting to take shape! If you need a bit of an extra boost, check out the top tips from Chris d'Lacey, author of The Unicorne Files series.
What would be your five top tips to budding writers?
1. Go for a killer first line and always leave each chapter on a cliffhanger, no matter how mild.
2. Never ignore that strange direction your subconscious is suggesting you explore.
3. Be aware of what’s around you. It’s amazing how the universe puts things in front of you when you commit to an idea.
4. Read your stuff aloud and don’t cheat (i.e. don’t stop; imagine you had an audience, even if it is just a row of cuddly toys). It’s amazing how easy it is to spot clunky sentences or continuity errors or plain naffness if you do this.
5. Write what’s in your heart, not what you think you ought to write or what you think is ‘current’.
For those hoping to take part in NaNoWriMo or enter the Times/Chicken House Children's Fiction Competition, what would be your best tip for writing something every day?
Leave your day’s writing halfway through a sentence. The simple act of completing the sentence the following day will help to kick start your session.